You'll remember that we thought our solicitor was being a bit tardy with our purchase? That our buyer is raring to go? That we could not understand what the hold up was?
We found out on Friday afternoon. Turns out that the owners of Damson Cottage, who, for the last 2 months have given us no other indication that their plans were nothing other than to go into rented accommodation so everyone could move quickly have, in fact, been buying a property.
Not a word from them. Not a word from their estate agent. Or their solicitor. And we have spoken to their estate agent on several occasions, saying over and over again that we needed to move by the end of May, and our buyers needed to move quickly, and each time being told that yes, all this was fine - because their clients were going to rent. They have had plenty of opportunity to tell us that their clients had changed their minds about renting but then I suppose they didn't want to tell us in case we pulled out to find a property which could provide us with a quick sale. Do they do that? Estate agents? And then they drop this bombshell at 1.30 Friday afternoon that their clients' solicitor was in fact holding up proceedings in order to complete this extra link in the chain. That NOBODY thought to tell us about. But not to worry, that the sale should still move quickly.
Okay, we said. First week in June? A week after we wanted to move? We could hack that. No - because the people who our vendors are buying from don't want to move until the end of June.
We feel deceived. And nauseous. Because having relayed this information to OUR buyer, they have just got back to us saying that if we can't move out in two weeks' time then they will have to pull out of the sale.
(Just typing this is making me feel sick.)
So tomorrow we have to get on to the solicitor to tell them to go ahead with our sale. We then have to get our removal company to put our belongings in storage. We then have to find somewhere to live in Shropshire because Andy is starting his job up there on a permanent basis on 1st June. We need to find somewhere to foster the hens for us. Somewhere to put Flora.
There is so much crappy stuff going on in our heads at the moment that we can't think straight.
And all because an estate agent decided not to tell us the truth of what was actually going on. They were supposed to call us back with details about the chain beyond our vendor. If there is a chain. There might not be. But there could be several more buyers and sellers involved that we know nothing about.
Surprise, surprise they didn't call back which has left us stewing all weekend. And feeling stupid, too, because we've been reassuring our buyers we wanted to move quickly.
But then we didn't know otherwise, did we?
Any ideas, anyone? However this goes, the credit card is going to take a severe bashing. Not to mention our sanity. And our faith in estate agents.