I spent yesterday morning sorting through my fabric stash, and as all sewists will know, this kind of activity causes an itchy fingered urge to make something. I was all cushioned out from Saturday, and had altered a long sleeve blouse into a short sleeve blouse because the long sleeves were annoying me and I was thinking, 'I want to make something a bit different.
So I sifted through my not insubstantial collection of patterns, books and sewing magazines and decided, completely randomly that what would keep me entertained for a few hours after lunch would be this...
As you can see, Elephant is made á la patchwork fashion...
...sporting a selection of fat quarters from a set I got for my birthday last year. In fact, I have enough of the fat quarters left to make another elephant, maybe two, but then this one wouldn't be unique, would he? Or she?
Elephant has a fluffy wool tail made from a bit of wool left over the enormous cardi I knitted a year ago - you know, the one I made with very fat wool and broomstick needles...
And appliqued eyes and a tiny zig-zag stitch mouth which caused me no end of angst getting it in the right place.
And Elephant also has very perky ears. I am especially pleased with the ears. If I was an elephant they are exactly the kind of ears I should like.
Anyway, I made an elephant. About a fiver's worth of materials (a lot of stuffing went into that body - I was quite surprised) and about 6 hours of sewing. It was a bit fiddly, the insertion of the base of the feet was the work of the Devil's imps and I didn't tack a single stitch! I have become very naughty about just pinning my seams perpendicular to the edges and zipping the machine across them OR pulling the pins put before the needle reaches them. This is a BAD habit, I know. Please tell me off about it. I have to warn you though that I shall take no notice because sewing is turning me into a bit of a renegade!
Please feel free to proffer suggestions for a name for Elephant. Though I think she might just be called Belinda.