How to have a lovely day: Part 1
1) Rise at 6. Make a birthday cake before weather gets too hot for oven-faffing. Think of planned day out on one's own in one's own company. Not a couple of hours - a WHOLE day.
2) Reflect upon when this occurrence may last have happened. Enjoy the thrill of not being able to remember when, because this just adds to the sense of adventure and, dare I say, luxurious selfishness of it all. Ice birthday cake. Nip to Post Office to collect new draining board (don't ask!).
3) Admire new draining board. Then set off in car. Wind down all windows to counteract hot, hot, hot, sunny, shiny summery weather.
4) Turn radio up MUCH louder than normal day to day driving permits, and then sing, also LOUDLY, to songs from musicals, because songs from musicals are excellent for long journey singing sessions.
5) Drive to destination. Keep singing!
6) Enjoy three hours of pottering. Visit well known cookery provision shop, fill basket with cookery tat then replace on shelves having decided you can do without, amongst other things, a baking tin shaped like a walnut and muffin cases covered in fairies.
7) Riffle through market stalls and purchase enormous orange, butterfly emblazoned and cover-all-sins floaty top. Think, I am 48 and have never owned an item of orange clothing.
8) Blitz sale in favourite clothes shop (named after the heavy rainfall phenomenon in India) and emerge with three bargain tops, one in cream, one in cornflower blue and one in orange. Think, that is TWO orange items in one day! What is going on??
9) Browse well-known book shop and purchase 4 books - two to keep and two as gifts.
10) Visit well known toiletry and cosmetic emporium and purchase a variety of my favourite Pamplemousse items. (Pamplemousse being pink grapefruit. I like the scent of Pamplemousse - I like saying 'Pamplemousse' even more!!)
11) Visit well known fabric shop (also having a sale) and purchase beautiful floral remnants and other bits for making rag dolls.
12) Return to car and set off for lunch in quiet garden centre. Sit right next to air conditioning unit, each sandwich, drink posh raspberry fizzy drink, read five chapters of new book, feel pleasantly drowsy.
13) Potter around garden centre. Resist urge to make further purchases in attempt to assuage guilt brought on by purchases of tops,fabrics, books, Pamplemousse etc.
14) Stop off on way home(whilst still singing songs from musicals to very load music) to purchase nice food for small birthday party.
15) Prepare small birthday party in one hour flat. Try to ignore hurty feet. Change into new orange butterfly top and waft around a bit like an enormous orange butterfly.
16) Enjoy small birthday party. Make Number One Granddaughter scream by jumping out on her in unexpected fashion and, ergo, make
Number 2 granddaughter cry.
How to have a lovely day: Part 2
SEW ALL DAY!!